Thursday, September 01, 2005

Chocolate and Caves

The kids are finally in bed. My ears are still ringing, but Hailey is done screaming... for now, anyway. Yesterday was a 12-hour epic adventure at HersheyPark in Pennsylvania. Hershey, PA, is the mecca of American chocoholics. ....
... this post was started at 10pm on Aug 27, but fatigue prevailed and words started to blur together in the week-old mound of Jello between my ears. And of course in the mean time, life has taken hold and kept me from further posts.
HersheyPark was great, except for the diaper changes between every ride (the babies--not me), long lines, and crowds of people. It was a fun weekend with super friends, though. They were incredibly patient with our "high maintenance" family. Of course, we came home with a trunk full of dark chocolate (if you ask Janell, there is no other kind).
On Saturday, we took the girls Spelunking at Indian Echo Caverns. Unfortunately, when you turn out all the lights in the deepest reaches of a cavern, it gets very dark and very quiet... two things that two year-olds detest! I was forced to retreat back to the land of the Eloi with Beth on my back, screaming in my ear until she could see my face. So much for the 10-buck entrance fee. The two big girls were able to finish the tour with our friends. At least they thought it was cool.
Following a quick "lunch" at 2pm at Cracker Barrel, we sped south toward home (3 1/2 hours away). My squadron conveniently scheduled my "farewell" dinner for that Saturday night at 6pm. We actually made the drive non-stop, but Hailey screamed pretty much constantly the whole way. We walked into the restaurant at 6:50, literally shaking with shot nerves. The girls were amazingly well behaved considering the long day. Everyone slept til 9 the next morning!

No comments: