Sunday, May 13, 2007

An unusual Mother's Day.

I know Scott said it didn't feel like Mother's Day on the ship, it didn't feel too much like Mother's Day out here either. :) The girls and I have been camped on the US Air Force Academy for the past 3 nights, and are definitely enjoying a slower pace. We haven't seen half of what we had planned on while in Colorado Springs, but we have really loved our time here.

Today the girls and I woke up to a gorgeous blue sky containing a few puffy white clouds. We quickly dressed for church and hurried off to Lucky Dog Daycare. Huh? Yeah, the dogs had an appointment for play group and a grooming while the girls and I did other things today. After a successful drop-off, the Zoo headed back to the USAFA for services in the pointy chapel. The entire USAFA is built with 70's architechture, so it takes a bit of getting used to.

I thought we were headed in to the contemporary service, but it turns out we ended up at a traditional service. Attendance was low due to the cadets coming up on finals week. I did enjoy the service though. The pastor spoke on 1 John 1:1-7 - he paralleled it to a spiritual road map for our journey of faith. He was very passionate, and it was obvious that he loved the Lord and knew Jesus. I enjoyed being fed again. The girls sat fairly still, and didn't seem to disturb those around us too much. :)

We ran a few errands at the BX (Base Exchange) and Commissary (groceries), then headed back to the trailer for lunch, and NAPS! I even enjoyed cuddling under a cozy purple blanket for a few minutes of peace. Hailey and Beth slept like champs, and Katelynn and Emily played or read outside. It was so nice to just relax and not hurry anywhere.

Eventually, we headed out to pick up the dogs. Boy do they smell MUCH nicer now. In fact, their bedding is in the wash right now, because it was so dirty, I didn't want them to get dirty just from sleeping on it. They had a good time in "play group" and seemed content to rejoin the family.

The rest of the evening was not anything like I had hoped for. We drove through the Garden of the Gods, and definitely liked the beautiful rock formations. However, both cameras were out of batteries, so we have no pictures. We tried to head to a craft store to pick up some supplies for a project, it was closed. (Wal-Mart worked instead.) I was craving a good steak, so we headed in the direction that my GPS said we could find a Lone Star Steakhouse. Hmmm. It was vacant, with weeds growing in the parking lot. So we settled for Bennett's Bar-B-Que. It was yummy, but not the steak I had wanted. Next stop was Cold Stone for dessert. The line was out the door, and after waiting for about 15 minutes people begin to come out - without ice cream. I guess the store had run out of chocolate ice cream. That wasn't going to work, I needed CHOCOLATE!!! So, back to the trailer we headed for some cookies and cream Dibs. No, not much worked out for me this evening.

However, the Lord prompted Katelynn to remind me to look at the good in it. :) I was with my four gorgeous girls, we were well fed, healthy, relatively happy, and we are on the journey of a lifetime. Katelynn and Emily had even decorated our campsite picnic table with wildflowers, pine cones and homemade cards in my honor. They were so proud of their gift to me, and I am so grateful to have received it. They really are growing up into great girls. They love to give.

So, today wasn't what I expected, but it was another Mother's Day with the Zoo. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

5 comments:

Nana said...

Happy Mother's Day Janell. Thank you girls for taking care of your Mommy today.

Leslie said...

Happy Mother's Day! Sounds like you had a great day, minus a few snafus, and that you are raising Godly girls with servant's hearts. You're doing a great job! (and we can find pix of Garden of the Gods online...but you did pick up batteries while you were out, didn't you?!)

GoughRMAK said...

I thought about you lot yesterday. I just didn't get a chance to give you a ring. I'm glad you were able to attend church. Your girls are so thoughtful, how sweet of them to decorate the table. I won't tell you what I ate yesterday since your cravings weren't met :)

M

Anonymous said...

Wild flowers, pinecones, and handmade cards! What more could anyone want for Mother's Day?

Smith, Smith, Smith & Smith said...

So, did you get to Melanie's? Did Beth get to see horses? What about the foal? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!