Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Comments from the kids.

I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again, but life with four young girls sure can generate tons of laughter. We've been traveling around Southern California visiting with family before we head out of the state for our big, 27-state, 9-week, cross-country trek. During the week, Beth and Emily have come up with some real zingers. Two that have stuck in my mind are detailed below.

Emily and Katelynn have taken advantage lately of Papa's agreement to pay a nickel for each rock they pick out of the backyard. Apparently, a previous tenant dumped an aquarium in the back yard, turquoise rocks and all. Papa just hasn't had the time to get to the tedious job of picking the tiny blue stones out of the dirt, but found a few willing volunteers in my two oldest daughters. (Beth has even joined in for a few quarters worth.) Emily was proudly spending a few of her hard earned dollars at Michael's the other night. When the cashier handed her the change, Emily proudly announced to all who were in earshot. "Yeah! Now I have some cents." Well, if you say that last sentence aloud, you'll realize why the cashier and I burst out into laughter. I still giggle when I remember her look of pride.

This next little tidbit comes from Beth, who often amazes me with her understanding of the world around her. It may not be appropriate for young children. (Rich, Mel, read ahead of the kids... *grin*) Much to my disappointment, Hailey decided shortly after her first birthday that she was done nursing. I've been quite sad to let go of that part of our relationship, but thought we had moved on. Well, for whatever reason, my chest has all of a sudden become quite fascinating to Hailey again. While in the grocery cart, she'll "honk" both sides and grin like an idiot. I just about fainted in Albertson's when she did that the first time. So while running errands with Hailey and Beth this week, Hailey reached down and patted me a few times. I tried to divert her attention elsewhere when Beth pipes up "Mommy, she's milking you like a cow!"

It took me a little while to convince Beth that the tears running down my face were not because I was sad. Rather, I was laughing so hard that I began to cry. I definitely need to remember moments like these when the times get tough. :)

6 comments:

Scott said...

I don't quite know what to say about this. Ummm... no comment. (but I am smiling)

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

OK the sanitary pad cleaning thingy is definately going to take place at my house. That was perhaps the funniest thing I have seen in forever! Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your blog and even seeing my kiddos along the way! He he he. Elizabeth

GoughRMAK said...

I get such a kick out of your girls. We always enjoy your stories. It's been said that you should laugh every day, well I would bet that you do, and we do as well reading your blog. Keep it up.

Rich

GoughRMAK said...

Oh Janell! Do I cry or laugh!! Your girls have always brought smiles. Can't wait to do some smiling soon! Kaitlin is counting the 'approximate' days. Yours & Scott's blog is the first thing I do each morning. :)

Auntie

60 toes said...

Janell,
Thanks for all of your stories, it has been great to read up on all that is going on with you. I was wondering if your road trip is taking you through the great state of Oklahoma, we would love to have you stop by.

I have been wanting to comment on your organization post but haven't had the chance until now. I come from the other side of the camp and tend to envy the creativity and spontaneity of your type. We, the naturally organized, are way too uptight to strap on some sanitary napkins and cut loose. Thanks for your honesty, we love you just the way you are.

I have been meaning to respond to Scott regarding Adam's email but did not know which one to send him because Adam was on the way home and out of touch when Scott wrote. He just got home, and said he will write Scott once he digs his way out of all of the blue folders in his inbox:)

Enjoy your time in Sunny SoCal because it will get a lot colder as you travel East.

Charlotte

Scott said...

Charlotte,
I've planned in a stop in OK as long as you were going to be around! I'd love to see Cooper, oh, and you too. *giggle* Katelynn and Emily talk about Emma and Andrew once in a while, it will be great to see all of you! I'll send a personal message later this week, once I get my itinerary planned. We leave the first week in March. ~Janell