Tuesday, February 13, 2007

They never fail to amaze me!

The girls and I have spent the past 3 nights in Blythe, CA. (Yes, it sounds like "blight" for a reason.) We definitely did not go for the scenery, rather we went to keep the dogs happy. I know that many of my friends (and family too) think that I am crazy for going all over the country just to win fuzzy dog toys. But, the girls and I really enjoy time outside with the dogs, and good friends. So this weekend, we all journeyed to the eastern edge of California to run around in the sun at the edge of the Colorado River.

We didn't leave Chula Vista until about 6pm, running a few errands before we picked up the trailer and headed east. Due to various bathroom stops (the girls) and coffee stops (mine) we ended up arriving at the RV park at 1:30 in the morning. I did the bare minimum to hook up water and power, left the truck hitched to the trailer and hit the sack around 2am. We missed the first Catchers race so the girls could sleep in, and eventually got to the tournament mid-morning.

Even though I have two dogs who run flyball, I elected to only put Eli on the team for this tournament - as he was only 1600 points from his next title. I would love to get his Onyx title before he officially retires, we'll see if his hips can last. On the drive up, I had explained to Katelynn that Abbey wouldn't be running, and Katelynn was sorely disappointed. Katelynn has been running Abbey in practice and was looking forward to the opportunity to run a dog in this tournament. I was impressed with Katelynn being able to tell me - in words, not by whining - that she was sad she wouldn't be running.

So, on Sunday, we put Abbey on the roster, and Katelynn ran in her first tournament! I am so proud of her. Her reaction time is MUCH better than mine, so I'm sure she'll achieve more accurate passes as she grows in her ability to run Abbey. Abbey ran well, not fast, but consistent. Abbey loves Katelynn, and didn't have any problem running for her - they even had an early pass in one run! (This is a huge thing, because Abbey is so nervous, she usually doesn't have the confidence to go in early on a dog, she'll usually avoid the jumps altogether!)

Pam and I were talking about how we had enough kids between the two of us (7 girl "String-Beanes) to make up a Jr. Handler team. So that is just what we did for the next race! What fun it was to throw together a team of all girl handlers, all girl dogs, and a YOUNG girl boxloader - Emily. Yes, you read that right, Emily box loaded for the team for the rest of the day. I'm thrilled that Emily was able to stay focused and get the balls into the correct hole for the dog running down the lane at her! Boxloading can be a tough job and Emily excelled. (Bob stayed near if there was any malfunction, but Emily held her own with dogs throwing themselves onto the box.) Beth even pitched in later in the day to "shag" balls - picking up the tennis balls to keep them out of the racing ring. The line up for the Jr. Handler team ended up being:
Heather Beane - Sophie (Border Collie)
Katelynn - Abbey (Golden Retriever)
Holly Beane - Sherry (Golden Retriever)
Hope Beane - Roxy (Jack Russell Terrier)
Emily - Boxloader

What fun!!! Emily and Katelynn received Jr. Handler ribbons at the end of the day in honor of their hard work. Every time I turn around, I am constantly reminded of how quickly my girls are growing up. Before too long I'll have enough help to run my own team at a tournament. If only I could get a few more dogs to match the kiddos I have. Hmmmm. Scott is gone for a while, maybe he won't notice an extra pup lying around the house. *evil grin*

Check back mid-morning for pictures of the weekend. I'm bushed so I'm going to head to bed instead of dig my camera out of the truck in the rain. I'm a wimp, I know!
Night all!

5 comments:

Scott said...

You can wipe that evil grin off your face right now, my dear! There were five ladies and two dogs when I left, and there better be five ladies and two dogs when I return! What you do in the mean time is up to you. :)
Glad to hear the girls did so well at Flyball. Don't even try to convince me that we need two more dogs to complete the team, though.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Katelynn, Emily and Beth. I wish I could have been there to see you. I love you all.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Scott wouldn't object if someone "gave" you a little pup!

Scott said...

Aunt Lucy,
I can always hope, but I think his mind is pretty well made up. Bummer, I'm almost without a dog to run in flyball once Eli retires this summer. I think I've permanently lost Abbey to Katelynn.

Leslie said...

Well, I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the dog competition, but it sure sounds like fun!

However, I do have to take issue with your comments about "Blight". SOME good things come out of Blythe, CA.....like me!! (I'm teasing you, not mad, but it was really funny to read your comments!) Yes, I was born and raised there, and my parents still live there (and we were visiting the wknd before you were there!). It does have its pros & cons, just suffice it to say that I moved away 2 days after graduating high school, and LOVE San Diego! :)

Leslie/NoUglyOneYet