Monday, February 19, 2007

Things I've learned the HARD way.

Surprise, surprise, I'm a bit stubborn. Hard-headed, obstinate, willful, contrary, stiff-necked and good old fashioned PIG-HEADED! Lately, as I operate on less sleep than my body likes, I've learned a few things the hard way. I thought that everyone might enjoy a short list of what I've learned. Maybe I can help someone avoid a similar problem!
  1. The more kids you have, the more your joy, but the bigger the messes around the house!
  2. Bleach works wonders at removing color from clothing, it just never removes red marker.
  3. When changing a baby's very messy diaper, make sure to have duct taped the child's hands to the changing table. Otherwise certain areas get touched, resulting in screams of disgust from the mother.
  4. When using an immersion blender (aka. a stick blender) to mix a shake, make sure one hand is on the blender and the other is on the cup. Neglecting to have a firm hold of the cup will result in a very messy geyser-like eruption of milk and protein powder.
  5. A gallon of milk, if dropped from a height of 3 feet onto a concrete garage floor, will burst open, spilling its contents.
  6. My garage floor is NOT level. (I know this because of lesson #2.)
  7. When grilling a high-fat meat (such as tri-tip roast from Costco) make sure the burners directly under the meat are turned off - or at least on low. Otherwise, dinner will resemble a charcoal brick.
  8. If you have a tattoo, don't be surprised if your daughters play "Tattoo Parlor", instead of "Beauty Parlor" like most girls.
All of these life lessons have been learned within the past two weeks. I'm sure there will be many more over the next few weeks as we get ready for our cross-country trek. I'll share them as I learn! :)

7 comments:

twinmommy said...

As a mother of young children, I can totally relate...and got a very good giggle from your list. My lesson this week.....don't forget to remove the finger paint from the craft drawer in your child's room before puting him in for a quiet play time :).

Anonymous said...

You can not deny that finger paint is "quiet," at least until mommy starts "explaining" how it should not be used. Janell and Amanda I only had two, so I can only guess at the magnitude. The issues are familiar, but there seems to be an exponential increase with each child. Hang in there both of you, and let me know how I can help.

Anonymous said...

Dear Twinmommy,
Give T a gold star for his creativity. What did he use as his canvas? Were the paints washable?

Scott said...

Please tell me he didn't use a brother or a sister as his "canvas"!
:) ~J

GoughRMAK said...

I hope I don't learn any lessons next month! I bet, that after this season of life is over, you will miss it.

Scott said...

Yeah, I'll miss it like I miss labor pains. *evil grin* ~J

twinmommy said...

Tyler did comment that he WAS doing a "quiet" activity :). Fortunately, most of the paint made it onto paper. He did a "little" decorating on his cloth covered toy chest, his bedspread, and the windowsill, though. Thankfully, Janell, the babies were not in the room with him at the time (that would have been fun!). Anyways, take some deep breaths Janell, and keep finding a way to laugh about all these things, like you are. Know that your family and friends love you and are praying for you!