Thursday, February 22, 2007

Cleaning as therapy.

It might sound strange, but cleaning my floor on my hands and knees really helped my outlook. I don't make it a habit to scrub my floor the old-fashioned way, but it just sounded good. (I know, I know, I'm certifiably crazy. I've heard it before.) The girls and I had a superbly efficient day in school, so I figured I would work on the floor while they played after lunch.

It was actually relaxing, in an odd sort of way, to move around the floor with sponge, water and rags. Cleaning the 18" tiles, getting a weeks worth of Beth's spills out from under her chair, and swiping up the stray dog fur that escaped the vacuum was kind of empowering. I think I feel as if I was slowly taking control back over the craziness the house has descended into.

Since Scott left one month ago, the girls and I have been so busy GOING. We've travelled, played flyball, had sleepovers with friends, schooled, played with friends, and generally dinked around. It has been an escape of sorts, and we needed the change of pace to help adjust to deployment life.

However, as we look forward to beginning our cross-country trek, I feel the need to get the house in order before we go. Maybe bringing the home back in order will help the girls and I as we pack and move our selected belongings into the trailer. This coming week, I can concentrate on packing and travel plans, as we've been given a gift and we will be able to pay someone to come clean the house before we leave, no more scrubbing the floor for me. :)

It's funny though. As I look around at the house, only one pile of laundry on the couch, the vacuum in the corner, and just a few papers lying around, the clean kitchen floor is spreading outward. Kitchen counters were wiped down last night instead of being ignored. Our general pick-up of accumulated clutter was more detailed than usual. Isn't it funny how something so simple, scrubbing a kitchen floor, can have such far reaching effects?

Oh, I learned two more "life lessons" yesterday as I scrubbed...

A 3-years old attention span will be 15 minutes less than it needs to be. Beth insisted on accompanying me as I cleaned the last few tiles. :)

And...

Do NOT serve couscous for dinner the same day you've scrubbed the floor. (This is the reason the vacuum is still in the corner.)

What an odd life I lead! I love every aspect of it, even the therapy I get from being on my hands and knees, up to my elbows in suds. I've truly been blessed by the Lord!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janelle,
I have to say I understand the therapy of cleaning a floor. Last week I was on my hands and knees cleaning the bathroom floor (not much fun when you have a boy - YUCK!) Anyway, I felt so overwhelmingly wonderful when it was done that it too radiated all over my house. I think the theory goes something like this: Do the #1 most despised job first and then everything else is easy! We are going to miss you when you are gone! Your friend in the trenches, Elizabeth

Smith, Smith, Smith & Smith said...

Janell,

When you coming our way? I admire your courage (insanity?) in taking on this cross-country trek. God bless!