Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.

Our trailer has another sticker on it... We've added Kansas to the side of the trailer, proudly proclaiming where we've been. :)

Our visit with my cousin, Lisa, and her family was awesome! I feel so recharged and ready to go. We arrived in Gardner, KS around 5pm to two boys and a beagle in the front yard. Nicholas and Nathan were ready to greet their road weary cousins, and Belle, the pup, begrudgingly allowed the goldens to invade her yard.

What chaos we bring to every home we visit. *chuckle* Four girls, two dogs, a 30' travel trailer, and one crazy Navy wife is quite a footprint to descend on any normal household. Mike, Lisa and the boys handled our invasion with grace though. We were allowed to take over the basement and we used every square inch to spread out. I know we left at least one pair of socks around, who knows what else they'll uncover in the next few days.

Saturday evening we were able to just hang out and catch up on each others lives since we were last able to visit with each other nearly a year and a half ago. The kids all ran around, everyone got along so well. Katelynn really enjoyed Nicholas showing her the wonderful gadget called "Xbox", she's mentioned it a few times since we left. We also discovered that Veggie Tales will keep Hailey quiet - what a blessing computer animated vegetables can be at the end of a long day.

Sunday was a very memorable day. We were able to go to Mike and Lisa's home church (I'll get a link later - my bulletin is out in the dark trailer) where the pastor spoke about work. For whatever reason, that was exactly what I needed to hear that day. (Coincidence? I think not.) Some of his points I've heard numerous times before - Colossians 3:23-24 Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ. Yet, one of his points really struck me. I have always thought that work was a result of the fall - a consequence of sin and its curse. However, we can see that in Genesis 2:15 that the LORD placed Adam in the garden of Eden to tend and care for it. Hmmm, sounds a bit like work to me. There is more to it than what I've simplified it to here, but I was really hit by this thought. Work was given by the LORD!

Sunday afternoon all 8 kids played while the 3 adults rested and relaxed. OK, I know you can add and 4 Stringer girls + 2 Beach boys does NOT equal 10 kiddos, let me explain. Mike and the boys picked up 2 of my cousin Tony's daughters to come and visit with us. So, 2+4+2=8, right? Rachel and Emily kept up with the rest of the kids, and everyone had lots of fun outdoors and in. That was a LOT of energy in one household though. :)


Sunday evening found us at Mike and Lisa's flock group, or small group bible study, where they are working through a Crown Financial Ministries study. It was fun to meet everyone and to feel so included. This group has been praying for my trip across the country, so it was exciting to be able to report how the Lord has been answering their prayers. Many thanks to them for their continued prayer coverage.

We all got to bed way too late - I think the girls and I are beginning to live as if we were on the ship with Scott. As a result of a late bedtime, we ALL slept in this morning, even Beth my one true early bird. After much packing, and getting lots of help cleaning out the truck, we were back on the road, heading south this time. It was tough to leave after a short visit, I felt such a connection with the Beach family, I even kept threatening to take Belle or Nathan or Nicholas along with me. :) I hope they've checked to make sure everyone was accounted for, I may have snuck someone away.

So, now we are in Mansfield, MO, after seeing many fun, beautiful, and crazy things on our drive down from near Kansas City. I'll have to detail them for you another time, as you can see by the posting time, I'm up extremely late again. I'll just whet your appetite with one word - Peculiar.

'Night all!

3 comments:

Hope said...

Way to go Janell! Did you make it to Trish's house yet? Tell me what her face was like when she saw you guys!!! Belle look really cute in the picture with you!

Tell Sneezy, Sleepy, Happy and Dopey that they are missed!!(and yes Snow White is missed, but in the end her true love will kiss her!!!)

Auntie Mo said...

Hi to the Beach's and LaRocco kids! Those pictures are great Janell. It's so good to see all the kids together!! I wish that we were with you for that one!

Anonymous said...

Janell,

We also found the bright pink squishy ball that was left behind. Let us know if we can mail the ball and socks to Maryland where you will be staying.

Also, hello to Melissa! Would have been great to have you and Hannah here too! Our home is always open and you are welcome if passing through!

Take good care!
Love,
Lisa
Lisa