Sunday, March 11, 2007

On the road...AGAIN!


Our time in Oklahoma has come to an end. We crossed the state boundary between Oklahoma and Kansas just after lunchtime. Katelynn and Emily were working on some Math and spelling while Beth and Hailey snoozed or looked outside. I was attempting to stay on the road with semi's passing me and the occasional wind gust. (Lots of red vines were consumed today - I stayed up way too late recently, and the sugar kick really helped.)

We arrived in Gardner, KS right around 5pm, eager to greet cousins Lisa, Mike, Nicholas and Nathan. (Plus adorable beagle pup, Belle. I'm threatening to take her with me when we leave.) The leap ahead in time tonight is going to mess with my already confused internal clock, I'm barely tired, and it is 2 in the morning already!

I'm eager to go to Sunday School and church in the morning with the Beach's. I'll even be able to join them at their small group Bible Study tomorrow night - the same Bible Study group that Scott was able to visit when he and the "Bigs" drove through in September, 2005.

The visit in Oklahoma was fun, but short. The kids all enjoyed playing together, we even managed to get all of them sitting together last night. (Seven kids in one home - that is a LOT of movement.) Friday, Charlotte and I took 5 young girls to the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial. It was powerful to see the field of 168 empty chairs, memorializing the lives lost in that senseless moment. We found the name of a friend of ours on the survivors wall, and the girls drew in the chalk garden. I have such vivid memories of April 19, 1995 - working out in Cal Poly's new rec center while glued to the TV news. Confused and saddened, so frustrated at my inability to help. I'm thankful we took the time to go downtown and see the memorial. Our world is so different than it was when I was Katelynn's age.

On a much lighter note, I was able to join Adam and Charlotte at their Sunday School's social event for the month. A "Penny" Auction! Everyone brought items (white elephant type of items) to donate to the raffle, and we bid for the items with pennies. I think the bidding actually went as high as $5.50 for one item! I laughed so hard, my cheeks STILL hurt. :) I ended up coming home (or trailer) with 5 Pottery Barn mugs. Perfect for this trip - 5 mugs, 5 girls.

Words seem so inadequate to describe how wonderfully awesome this trip has been so far. The Lord has truly blessed us with good health, semi-happy kiddos, no mechanical troubles, and fabulous people and places to visit. I've traveled across this beautiful country more than once, but my appreciation for the United States is growing more this trip than it ever has before. Maybe it is because of the relatively slow pace we are moving at. I'm able to really look around, listen to the people, reconnect with my family and friends. God is good.

5 comments:

Hope said...

After reading that I got chills! My friend said you could write a book! My paster and my friend prayed for you guys this morning! I hope you guys are having fun! Love Hope

Scott said...

Hopie,
Keep the prayers coming! God is answering in some very powerful ways. Our God is an awesome God, He reigns!!! ~J

Hope said...

Oh Yeah! Sing janell sing it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Janell! Your blog is great! We all miss you and pray that your trip is a restful, safe, and terrific adventure. Sounds like you have had so much fun with your girls and your doggies. Much love to you all and CFSCV will be so glad to have you back with us when you return. Love, Betsy

EEEEMommy said...

Hi, Janell! I just discovered your blog through the Gough's new blog. I admire you SOOOOO much for packing up your girls and driving cross-country! I was pretty impressed that I did it for 12 hours with 4 kids, but you've definately got me beat! :)
If you need a place to stay in Indiana, feel free to crash here, we're a few minutes off of 70 just East of Indianapolis. Have a great time! (I'm a bit jealous!) :)
Praying for continued safe travels, Angel Grunden