Monday, April 30, 2007

Mt. Rushmore and a crazy horse.

The girls obviously didn't read last nights blog, as I had stated that we would SLEEP IN this morning. Katelynn was up around 7am, and the rest soon followed. ARGH. Just once I want to be the first one up, I guess that would entail going to bed before midnight. Oh well.

Even with our early start, we didn't roll out of camp until around 11am. With snacks packed and plans to eat lunch at Mt. Rushmore, we hit the road. I had briefly talked to the girls about stopping by the Crazy Horse Memorial before going to Mt. Rushmore, as it was on the way. They agreed, but I didn't know that they had no clue what they were going to see.

As we got closer, we could see the face of an Indian carved in the mountain. Emily spotted it first, and excitedly tried to point it out to her sisters. This was my first clue. Eventually I figured out that Beth was expecting a HORSE. Poor kid, I think I disappointed her, especially since she has been asking to go horseback riding since we left California.

Our time at Crazy Horse was short, punctuated by a cuddle with Thunder. Thunder is the 19-year old cat who lives at the gift store near Crazy Horse, and tolerated all of us loving on him. Hailey kept calling him "Abbey", he didn't seem to mind. The "Bigs" enjoyed the 14-minute video telling about the Crazy Horse Memorial, but I ended up with both "Littles" in my lap, as there were quite a few shots of the explosions, rocks tumbling, loud booms. I got to watch a little bit of the video, through hands grasped around my windpipe and fingers grabbing my hair.

Next stop, Mt. Rushmore. This was a bit more impressive, for although the scuplture is much smaller than Crazy Horse, I know a bit of the history about the 4 men carved into the mountain, so it has more personal meaning for me. Also, one doesn't even really glimpse the sculpture until you are right at it. More of a grand entrance.

After a quick glance at the faces, we hustled into the cafe to eat lunch. Then back out onto the terrace to gaze up at the presidents. I'm not sure why, but this was one stop that I was really looking forward to. I was not disappointed. Katelynn and Emily snapped pictures while the "Littles" giggled, and I tried to get the best photo possible. (Most shots you can see up their noses.)

We went down to the museum and watched a video of the carving of Rushmore. The challenges that the artist, Gutzon Borglum, had to overcome were astounding. Most of the sculpture was created during the Great Depression, so funding was tight and periods of inactivity were common. Even with all the setbacks, it did take only 14 years to complete.

We raided the bookstore where I picked up two books about the history of Mt. Rushmore. I'm so curious to read how everything occurred, and how the sculpture ended up placed as it did. I'll let you know if the books are any good. :)


Then, off to the trails we headed. There is a small (.6 mile) trail loop that we set out on, and were able to go about halfway before the stairs prevented us from going any further. (I had the stroller with us this day.) We did park the stroller and go out to an observation deck where we had a great view, and the girls got to play for a short while. It was so odd to be gazing up at Mt. Rushmore and have my cell phone ring! Scott!! So we all enjoyed taking turns talking with the best man alive while others played or snapped pictures. Hailey surprised all of us by walking almost the entire way back to the viewing terrace (almost .2 of a mile), while holding onto my hands and/or Katelynn's.

I'm proud to live in a country where carving a mountain is not seen as impossible. That may sound strange, but to see the beauty of the Black Hills, and then to see how men are trying to leave a legacy, brings out an odd sense of pride. If you haven't been able to visit this part of the country, it is hard to explain, especially with my limited words. However, if you have been able to see South Dakota and its grandeur, you may understand what I mean. :)

On May 1st, we'll do a little school, and then journey underground to the Jewel Cave. Tonight should be the first lighting of Mt. Rushmore, so we'll head back there around sunset.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos! Hooray for Hailey. She'll probably be running by the time you get home.

GoughRMAK said...

Love the photos!! Yeah Hailey! I know you'll be thrilled when she can take off on her own. Give the girls hugs and kisses. Tell them to give you one from me:)

Auntie

60 toes said...

Thanks for posting all of the great pictures. The kids loved seeing them.

Cooper says "hi" too.

-C