Friday, May 04, 2007

Whew, what wind...

Thank you for praying for me and the girls, and my aches while driving! The Lord was truly protecting us today. The wind was especially strong today, so I didn't do much snacking, as I had to keep both hands on the wheel as I drove. The girls were super-well behaved, and didn't seem to mind that I couldn't play the roll of flight stewardess today.

We stopped for lunch when Scott called around 12:45pm. We all had a great talk with him, it is tough to know he is back on the ship after a few days onshore. I will miss the near daily phone calls. At this point there was over half of a tank of gas in the truck, so I figured that we would stop for gas in a few hours. I didn't account for the wind, and how that would affect my gas mileage.

So, somewhere West of Billings, MT, my fuel light goes on - OK, I have 3 gallons left. That should get me about 30 miles with the wind I tell myself. I quickly get the GPS to find the closest gas station - 20 miles away. Hmmm. Close, but possible. I tell the girls that we are going to have to stop for gas, so to get ready for a pit stop.

Well, I guess that I was actually getting only 5 miles to the gallon with the strong headwind we had on the road today, because 4.4 miles from our exit I lose all power to the truck. No power brakes, no power steering, and absolutely NO gas. Oops.

Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance to the rescue. Fortunately, I actually had a decent cell signal, and didn't even have to get out of the car to call. (We had been able to coast to the shoulder and were as safe as possible at the moment.) As anyone who has tried to talk to me in the past few days knows, the cell strength has been very spotty along I-90. Most of the time I only get 1-2 minutes until my call gets dropped. So, the Lord worked that situation as well.

Good Sam told me it would take about 90 minutes for a tow truck with fuel to arrive, so the girls and I settled in for a long wait. In reality, it only took about 40 minutes for Seth to arrive with 5 gallons of gas. After a few minutes of paperwork, we were on the road again. I made it safely down the road 4.4 miles to the exit and another mile to the gas station. I think I'll be looking for a small gas can to carry in the truck, as fuel isn't readily available out here in Southern Montana!

We still made it to our campground by 7pm, and the women at the desk were super helpful. Lynelle will tell the girls and I all about the best places to visit in Yellowstone, and she even knows where we can spot some grizzlies and wolves. How cool!!! We saw a ton of deer as we drove south on 89 toward Yellowstone. We've seen so many new animals on this trip, I think our favorite were the prairie dogs we saw yesterday, and the flicker-tails we saw in De Smet. Who knows what the Lord will bring across our path over the next few days?

4 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

Glad you made it safely!
Enjoy the wildlife! Hang in there! We're still praying for you! God is faithful!

Anonymous said...

When A was little in Iowa, we had a prairie dog burrow in our city park. They would tunnel out of the burrow, which had a low fence to keep people out, into the park and pop up unexpectedly. We used to spend hours watching them. I wish I had been there to see the ones you spotted.

Anonymous said...

Wow,
God is amazing. It's amazing that you were able to pull your trailer over to the side to be out of the way. That's a difficult feat. (been there, done that)

Have a safe day. :)

GoughRMAK said...

As soon as you started talking about gas and distance, I saw it coming. That big rig you have is not very aerodynamic. I'm sure the last thing on your mind was how hard the wind was pushing against you. At least your fuel system should be cleaned out. At least you guys could get in the trailer instead of sitting in the truck the entire time.

There is a GREAT example of why it's good to have "roadside assistance". Imagine walking 4.4 miles with 4 kids in that wind.

Glad things worked out. It would have been so easy to think how lucky you were, but God is not about luck. He knew where you would run out of gas and kept you in a cell zone.

GOOD LUCK!
R: