Monday, June 25, 2007

12 years ago


I can remember the excitement as we drove into the church parking lot. I couldn't keep from grinning. My cheeks hurt because my smile was so large! California's "June Gloom" hadn't yet broken, so the sun's light was diffused by a low layer of clouds. Looking back, the day appears to glow in my memory.

Scott and I met in Math class, our junior year in high school. Nearly six years later, we were getting married. Against all odds, the Lord had carried our relationship through the end of high school and four years of separation during college. Here I was, about to gain my heart's desire.

I remember seeing Scott at the end of the aisle, waiting for me. His deep, brown eyes reflecting his love for me. I wanted to run to him, but I bowed to tradition and walked arm in arm with my Daddy. My heart felt as if it would burst out of my chest, how in the world could this day get any better?

Most of the memories from our wedding day are a blur. I look at the pictures and flashes come back to me, but the details remain fuzzy. Yet, what does remain strong in my memory bank are the emotions, the strength of my feelings and the overriding joy.

On that day, twelve years ago, I felt so blessed to be Scott's wife. I was amazed that a man like him would honor me in this way. I was so thankful to the Lord for giving me my hearts desire. Scott and I had been through some tough times during our five years of dating, but I knew that we were well prepared for the challenges that would come our way in marriage.

Now, those feelings of blessing and honor are still with me, they have just grown with the passing of time. Once in a while, I'll just watch Scott from across the room, as he interacts with our daughters, as he puzzles over an Excel spreadsheet, or even as he lays in bed at night. As I gaze at him I feel physically touched by the depth of my love for him. I really don't know how to describe it, my breath is taken away, I can't help but smile, and I'm amazed at how our love has grown and deepened with time.

I'm constantly learning more about him. (Case in point, I never realized he HAD to wear a watch. I just knew he always did. *grin*)

I love to see how Scott's respect for others plays out in a day to day basis. Sometimes it shows up as time spent cuddling with a daughter on the couch, reading a book, or watching "Dora". Often it will be revealed as Scott talks to someone. Or should I say, as he listens to someone. Scott listens, a quality that will be sorely tested as he returns home in a few months. All of his women will have seven months of stored up words to spend!

Scott has a fabulous ability to put up with my odd quirks. He has supported me in my cloth diapering addiction - only once in a while teasing me about the amount of fabric stored in the sewing room. Scott loves to build me up, encouraging me and complimenting me on a job well done. I love to show off my latest diaper creation to him, and he'll "ooh" and "aah" at the workmanship. Never once will he sigh and remind me that they aren't designed to be works of art.

Our marriage is such a team effort. Scott helps me out when I'm feeling weak. He'll take over when I'm needing help. A friend even commented once that Scott seems to anticipate what needs to be done, and steps in without being asked. Here I thought that I was the only one to notice that awesome trait!

I am so thankful to God for giving me this man, who desires to love God and to show our daughters how to love Him too. Scott is such an example to me of wanting to do God's desire. Scott isn't perfect, but his heart is turned toward our Father, eager to learn and grow. That eagerness excites me, and spurs me on to grow and learn as well. I love to watch as the Lord challenges Scott. I know that even through the trials that Scott will deepen his relationship with God.

Lord, you amaze me with your ability to show your love to me through Scott. Thank you for giving me Scott as my husband, and for blessing us with four fabulous daughters. I'm in awe. Thank you for the past twelve years of marriage!!!

Scott, I'm proud to be your wife. I love you!

6 comments:

GoughRMAK said...

So touching J. There goes the writer in you, sneaking out again!
Very well said!

Hope it was a good of a day you could have apart...I remember several of those myself.

M

60 toes said...

Thanks J. You two are great together, you are richly blessed and it shows in the deep emotional tribute you've written to S. You have encouraged me today, thanks.
~A

Auntie Mo said...

I am blessed to have your relationship as a model to me. I remember the day 12 years ago and I remember the joy on your face when you were walking down the aisle (and I remember that my dress was 3 inches shorter than everyone else's).....Much love.

60 toes said...

love your post,
I am wondering if it was legal for you to be married, you look like babies! :)

60 toes said...

the above post was from me
-C

EEEEMommy said...

Happy Anniversary!
What a great post!
Scott and Chris are a lot alike and so are you and I. :) I totally understand the indescribable feeling of tangible love, it almost hurts my heart it's so strong! God is so so good!

May God continue to richly bless your marriage and continue to shine through you both!