Friday, August 03, 2007

Atascadero and points south

When we last left our story, the heroine was weaving her way through the curved forest road. Her red horse stretched his muscles, carrying her swiftly over and around any obstacle. Four young princesses rode in the carriage behind, giggling with delight as they bounced over rocks and dodged trees...

Oh, oops. You don't remember that from last nights blog? Hmmmm. My bad.

The Zoo and I arrived Amanda's castle, I mean home, right around noon. Cody, their black lab, greeted us by enthusiastically wagging his entire body as he waited for me to let Eli and Abbey into the backyard. As the dogs got reacquainted, the girls and I surveyed the newest project - a new chicken coop being built when Tyler appeared out from in front of the house. Yahoo! The cousins were back together!

After a quick lunch, Amanda and I caught up on the family news while the kiddos played in the pool. Hailey slept, and I laughed at the twins antics. If you've read Amanda's blog lately, you know that Aiden and Ashley are now moving. Aiden is fully into crawl mode, while Ashley is really good at scootching. (If you've had kids, you know exactly what motion that silly word describes.) I had so much fun getting Ashley to giggle at her silly Auntie. Aiden wasn't quite sure what to think of his "Crazy Aunt Janell". I'm sure over time he will come to think of me as something to be endured - kind of like Hannah, right Auntie Mo?

Dinner was fabulous, Amanda is really a good cook! Oh, I still want that recipe if I can have it. Emily even finished all of the chicken that was on her plate. That says a lot. The "big" kids had a slumber party in the front room when Amanda and I had "adult" time watching Flip this House and drinking cocktails. What a great way to unwind!

We left way too early the next morning - at least according to Tyler and my girls. They definitely needed more time together. It was tough to buzz through so quickly, Amanda and I agreed that it was too short of a visit. But we had appointments to keep, and places to be. Of course, I discovered that I had mixed up some dates in my head and the girls and I accidentally missed our dentist appointments as we drove along the coast in Pismo Beach. Darn it! Can I call that a senior moment?

There is so much more yet to come in our drive home, only we didn't know it at the time. I have to keep you in suspense a little longer, but it is 11:30 and I need my beauty rest. :) Sorry!

There is just one more thing I want to share while it is fresh in my mind. I wish I could bottle up this moment: When we drove home from Bible study tonight, Katelynn's voice quietly rises from behind me. "This year has been the best one of my life."

Once again, my children surprise me.

Katelynn, Emily and I were able to briefly talk about how even though this year could have been the worst ever - Daddy was gone - the Lord worked it out for good. Never again will the girls and I experience life like we have in the past seven months. Silly days of doing school in our pajamas, late night dinners in front of the TV, ice cream for dinner, an eleven thousand mile road trip, mornings spent sleeping in because we stayed up too late the night before... It has been an awfully wonderful time.

As much as my heart has ached constantly since Scott flew off on January 20, 2007, I would never ask to have the precious memories of this year erased. When the ideas for how to cope with deployment began to be discussed, my biggest desire was that the girls and I would build memories. Eight and a half years ago, Katelynn and I endured a six-month separation from Scott that is a hole in my mind. I remember very little of those months alone with her. I did NOT want that to happen this time.

It didn't.

4 comments:

GoughRMAK said...

Janell,
That's great. It's amazing how a potentially bad situation (deployment) can turn out the way it has. You guys have not had time to slow down and think much about Scott being gone. What a blessing for the opportunities you have had. I'm glad we were able to share in some of that. Thank You.

I have a life, but I'm waiting for the next installment of "As the Stringerzoo World Turns".

Rich

GoughRMAK said...

Ditto, Ditto! You can't leave us all hanging! We enjoy your writings and hope you can keep it up in the months to come.

That's cool about Katelynn. Now, when next year comes, she'll be telling you how boring you are :) I'm very happy you were operating on "max flex" and made the most of your lemons.

The Shindigs said...

In true Paul Harvey fashion you have left us hanging around to hear "the rest of the story". :) I too am glad to hear that this year has had more positives than negatives. It's fun to go back and re-read your adventures over the past 7 months.

Good on you for trying to keep to your schedule and getting to bed "early". :)

G

Anonymous said...

Janell, I dont know what to say! I love the count down thingy! I was sittin here just watching it go down and down!!!

I hope to see u at flyball
Hope