Saturday, August 04, 2007

Fabulously unplanned.

Sometimes there are HUGE benefits to not planning life. (I'm really good at planning things in my head, I always come up with grand ideas, it is just the implementation that gets me down.) The drive from Atascadero to home this past Sunday was one example of where the unexpected can really bring joy to life.

The girls and I set out from Amanda's house with our sights set on the Borders bookstore in San Luis Obispo. Katelynn has yet again devoured all the books we have purchased since leaving home, plus all the books Nana and I bought her in Almanor, plus all the books I bought along the drive north. (I'm going to go broke!) So, with a 6+ hour drive looming ahead of us, and a limited supply of DVDs with us, I told the girls I would purchase each of them a book.

Eventually we were on the road again, and I thought to myself that In-n-Out in Santa Barbara would be a great place to stop for lunch, as it was now about noon, but we had snacks and drinks to keep everyone happy for the next 90 minutes. Plus, a movie was showing, so they girls were mesmerized and would temporarily forget any hunger pangs.

Unfortunately, the movie did nothing to help me - I was getting sleepier as each mile passed under my tires. We pulled over at a rest stop shortly before the coastline. I dozed for 30 minutes while the girls finished their movie. Once I was refreshed we hit the pavement and watched the waves crashing to our right side. Katelynn loved spotting the red kelp beds peeking above the surface of the sea. Before I knew it, the "Littles" were asleep, and we were nearing Santa Barbara.

I opted the let Hailey and Beth sleep, so we continued on, deciding to hit the next In-n-Out. I mistakenly thought there was one in Carpenteria, the next "large" coastal town. So southward we continued. I missed the exit for the In-n-Out in Ventura, so we were destined to have lunch in my hometown of Camarillo.

Once Katelynn and Emily heard we were to be eating practically in Papa's backyard, they became determined to visit with him. In God's plan, John was home, wasn't busy, and was able to meet us for our very late lunch at In-n-Out. How fun it was to watch John drive up and park next to me and to hear the chorus of "PAPA" ringing out from the rear seats of my truck! Eli grinned away as he realized who was reaching in the window to pet his head.

John kept the troops entertained while I ordered our extremely high maintenance meal. If you know anything about In-n-Out, you know that they do not have a very large menu. Hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, shakes and drinks. That is it, nothing else. However, I've learned that there are endless variations on HOW you order your food. Plain, un-toasted, animal style, you name it, they can do it. So it takes a while for me to get all the various peculiarities of my girls tastes relayed to the associate behind the register.

About halfway through the meal, I realized that if I continued on as "planned" we would hit LA at 5pm. ARGH! Not a good idea. OK, time to rethink the "plan". I realized that Scott's aunt, Lucy, had a few stray Zoo items at her house from our last visit, so why not stop by her place? Since she wasn't due home from work for a few hours, that left us free to visit with Papa!!!

The girls and dogs stretched their legs while John and I had a great talk. It was so awesome to just be able to sit with Scott's dad and enjoy our time. It was so evident to me during this conversation the depth of John's love for Scott. John and Laura did a fabulous job raising Scott and Amanda, and it shows in how Scott and Amanda treat others and live their lives. I will treasure this time with John.

Then it was back into the truck for the Zoo, and we descended upon Aunt Lucy. I dug out the girls bathing suits and they played in the jacuzzi right outside Lucy's front door while Lucy and I talked. I was privileged to look through her sketches, and throughly enjoyed our adult conversation while the girls played. Hmmm, you think the Lord was filling me up with great conversations to ponder as I work so hard this month? Something to think about!

We left Aunt Lucy's full of yummy food and ready to be home. I had to return to her place to pick up my purse, thank God I realized I had left it before we were even 1/2 of a mile from her home! I filled the truck with gas, bought a hot coffee and some munchies and hit the road. It wasn't too long before the girls were asleep and I was left "alone" with my recorded book and the grey asphalt in front of me.

We pulled into the driveway around 12:15 in the morning. The girls already were dressed in their pajamas so they crawled into bed, hardly even opening their eyes. I, unfortunately, wasn't so lucky. I always take a while to wind down from a long drive, and this night was no exception. It was nearly 3:30 before I was ready to get some sleep. I think the wonders of our unplanned day just took a while to sink in.

And of course, I'm up past my self-imposed curfew of 11pm tonight. I've got so many things rolling around inside my head. I have really enjoyed the memory building time the girls and I have done while Scott was away, but I'm done. I need my husband to come home. August 27 can't come soon enough.

IthinkIcan, IthinkIcan, IthinkIcan...

2 comments:

Nana said...

Iknowyoucan! Iknowyoucan! Iknowyoucan!

60 toes said...

I am hungry just thinking about In-n-Out, yum!

I love the countdown too.
-C