Friday, October 26, 2007

Fine black soot...

When the girls and I were camped out in Raleigh, NC this past spring, I blogged about cleaning out the trailer's RV water heater. (Read the post from March here.) I ended up covered with a super-fine dusting of soot that left black smears all over my arms, shirt and face. It was like the ash that would result from burning the tissue paper that you wrap around your Christmas presents. Maybe that experience was a foreshadowing of this week.

Today, the girls and I emerged from our hobbit hole home to enjoy a picnic dinner at a neighborhood park. The air was free from the fire's caustic odor, even though the entire 360 degrees of horizon were shrouded in smoke. I knew that the layer of ash around our home was indicative of what I would find at the park - and I was not mistaken!

Every sidewalk appeared to have a fine dusting of ash, gathering in random piles in between the visible footprints left as the girls ran on ahead of me. As we approached the playground, we found a large remnant of ash - as large as the girls hands. Only the Lord knows how far this piece was carried by the fierce Santa Ana winds, or what it was before the flames rendered it this black, shapeless form on the concrete.

Katelynn helped me wipe off the picnic table - it was like some woman's face powder had exploded, yet I don't know anyone who would wear smoky black makeup. Even after a dry wipe-down, a wet wipe-down and another dry wipe-down, the smooth concrete was still leaving black marks on every paper towel we used. I gave up on clean, and settled for "good enough".

The girls and I enjoyed a gourmet meal of PB&J, pita chips, strawberries and grape Kool-Aid. Yummy! The girls quickly dispersed to the play equipment, and I settled into a quick game of Sudoku. I love listening in as the girls let their imaginations rule their play. At one point, I heard something about a Time Machine. :)

It wasn't long before the sun sank below the layer of smoke covering the Pacific. I gathered up the zoo and was quickly amazed at the amount of black soot covering my daughters hands, feet, faces, and a couple of bums. Whew! Even a scrubbing in the tub didn't even take all the cinders out of the fine ridges and whorls of Beth's footprints.

It was a good time OUTSIDE. I only wish I could have brought the dogs, they need to escape the house too. However, the fine particles of ash that would be kicked up when they run through the grass could really do harm to their lungs. I'm hoping the weather forecast of rain showers this weekend come true. All of southern California needs the washing.

Check out this link to Google Maps. Our local PBS station has worked with local fire authorities as well as SDSU to create this interactive map of the San Diego fires. For your reference, our home is in Eastern Chula Vista (zoom in to the southern portion of the map), west of the Otay Lakes reservoirs - the map does label the Eastlake Country Club. You can see how close the fires came.

Our local CBS station also has some great information. You can check out their website here.

Thank you for your prayers. Keep praying for our spirits and for the Lord to open up ways for us to help those who have suffered loss.

3 comments:

GoughRMAK said...

Again,
I'm glad that you guys made it through this one. You know, we don't have fires like this in MD! I heard on the news that the wind is going to shift and blow the smoke from the Pacific back on shore today and maybe push it a little North. The good thing is it should push the fires back on where they have already burned and hopefully have NOTHING left and die out.

A good washing from rain would be WONDERFUL.

I know you have a LOT going on, but you should really try to BLOG more. This post was WONDERFULLY written. You and Scott both have a knack for writing.

Thanks for the update.

Rich

Nana said...

Thanks Janell. I came across that Google Map on Tuesday, and it sure made me worry about you guys until it stopped at Otay Lakes Reservoir. It was good to have information though. The news up here seemed to forget that San Diego is part of California. Yeah for computers. I also found a 'stream' of one of the local SD new stations. It was choppy, but I got information. I'm so thankful you are all OK.
How are the dogs doing??

Anonymous said...

It's Nicholas Beach; HAPPY THANKSGIVING. It's November 22nd and my Birthday is November 25th on sunday.-!BYE!-