Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Have you ever noticed...

Why is it that whatever I am studying in my quiet-time almost instantly become applicable that day??? It is almost like the joke "Don't pray for patience - God will test you!"

I've been working through a great book - "Wives of the Warriors" since January of last year. It isn't a long book, but I'm not working through it every day. I've been really surprised at this Army wife's perspective and insight into the daily issues of being a military spouse. The Lord has truly blessed her and is reaching others through her words.

Anyway, for this week, I've been reading about forgiveness. An issue I struggle with in the best of times. Today I read about Joseph and how he approached his brothers' betrayal, various imprisonments and eventual elevation to governor of Egypt. (Funny thing is, the girls and I are studying this exact thing in Bible for school as well as ancient Egypt in history - life is fairly overlapping for me right now.)

Today, the author tied in Paul and his exhortation to be joyful in all things, not complaining or arguing with how Joseph handled his difficult circumstances. We don't know if Joseph ever asked the Lord "Why?", but we do see how the Lord was with him always. Joseph didn't fret, or lose sight of the fact that God was working.
4 "Please, come closer," he said to them. So they came closer. And he said again, "I am Joseph, your brother, whom you sold into slavery in Egypt.5 But don't be upset, and don't be angry with yourselves for selling me to this place. It was God who sent me here ahead of you to preserve your lives.7 God has sent me ahead of you to keep you and your families alive and to preserve many survivors.8 So it was God who sent me here, not you! Genesis 45:4-5, 7-8


This is so tough for me! HOW do other Christians do this? I had woken up on the wrong side of the bed, Hailey was her typical fussy self, Beth needed more than I could give, Beth (my "mess-maker") decided she needed a drink of water and got the water dispenser stuck in the ON position, and I spilled Pepsi all over my sewing machine and desk. Tough circumstances. My "engineering" mind wants a step by step plan for resting in the Lord and finding joy in all things. I'm slowly learning that this isn't the way life works. The Lord is truly growing me - day by day, even minute by minute.


No comments: