Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Saying Goodbye.


WOW! I knew it would be tough, but it was so different than I had anticipated. Scott and I packed up the four girls early on Saturday morning and drove down to the squadron. The girls and I listened as the pilots briefed their flights, and then we had some time to hang out with Scott. We helped carry his last few items out to the helicopter and then prayed together as a family for the last time for the next several months. It was so exciting to be able to pray next to the helicopter that has Scott's name painted on the side, the one that would carry him out to the Stennis. Maybe it is my upbringing, maybe it is my personality, I really don't know. But being able to stand together praying for God's hand to guide and protect all of us, near the helicopter that Scott flew only a short while later was really moving to me. I have such vivid memories of those short moments. Then, all too soon, it was time to walk back to the hanger, and kiss Scott good-bye.

We could watch the pilots crawling over, under and around their helos as they did their pre-flight checks. Soon tail rotors began to turn, then the main rotors, and the air behind the rotor mast began to shimmer with the engine exhaust heat. I LOVE the sound of those rotors turning. Unfortunately, due to a minor issue with the helo, Scott and his co-pilot and crew did not take off with the first set of helos, and instead I was given the opportunity to "entertain" 4 young girls while we watched maintainers crawl onto the tail of the aircraft. I don't think Hailey's PJs will ever come clean again - crawling around on concrete for an hour is not what they were designed for. However, God it great! Due to Scott having to leave with the later helo formation, he ended up being the lead aircraft, giving the girls and I a great view of him as he taxied by. We watched him take-off and disappear over the San Diego Bay.

I am so proud of my husband! He has the courage, integrity, and commitment to do what only a handful of others are willing to do. It has been an interesting few weeks and days as Katelynn and Emily have struggled with why THEIR Daddy has to go away. I've explained it to them in this simple way: "You know how strong and special your Daddy is, right? He has a very special job, not all daddies have this special job, but yours does. Daddy's job is to protect us, and our country from any people who would hurt us. Daddy is one of the strong, courageous men that help keep us safe." To some, maybe this is over-simplifying it, but I truly believe that my husband is one of a select few that are willing to sacrifice their comfort, so the rest of us can live the way we do.

As the girls and I go about our various adventures, homeschool, flyball, cross-country treks, I'll do my best to keep writing on the blog. I'm definitely not the wordsmith that Scott is, but maybe with practice I'll get a little better? :)

3 comments:

Scott said...

Janell,
Your words describing my departure are so similar to my personal journal, it's eerie. That walk from the hangar back to the helicopter was the longest walk I have ever taken. What a mix of grief, sorrow, purpose, excitement, resolve, and anticipation. Thank you so much for your affirmations. I am proud to be here and to serve. I just wish you didn't have to sacrifice so that I can be here. I love you, darling. You are amazing.
-Scott

Anonymous said...

Okay, I was not ready for a tear jerker this morning...

You truly are amazing like your husband says Janell - I have told you many times that I don't know how you do it!

I adore you guys and am here for you WHENEVER you need.

Hannah talked about her Uncle at school to her teacher and her teacher called me on Friday to say that she was praying for your family - all I can say is WOW.

I love you!

Scott said...

WOW! Prayers are so important to me now. It amazes me that people I don't know are praying for us. What a true blessing.