Sunday, February 25, 2007

Being a Dog "Mom".

Having Eli and Abbey around...how can I describe the pleasure and satisfaction I get from having these two furry beasts share my life? I watch them doze on the floor next to me, knowing that the second I make a move Abbey will be up, eager to go on an adventure. Eli's darker form is curled up, conserving body heat as the house cools off. Abbey's blond fuzzy feet stretch out in front of her. Both dogs seem to sense that I'm thinking about them, they stretch in unison, Abbey lifts her head to look at me, Eli gives a deep sigh before he adjusts his body to accommodate his aches.

Their companionship often is taken for granted. They give me so much, and expect so little in return. All they really want is to be with me. An occasional thrown ball just adds frosting to the cake. Dogs really are good for ones self esteem - Eli and Abbey look up to me, they are always eager to see me. If only I could live up to their opinion of me.

I truly believe that God put these guys here to teach me a little bit about his unconditional love. OK, this may sound strange, but hear me out. Think about it... I have to do absolutely nothing to earn their devotion. Some days they will be virtually ignored, blending into the background. Yet, their focus is almost always on me. I just have to whisper a key word (walk, eat, ball) and they are by my side, anxious to see what comes next. I can be gone for 8 hours, run into the house at the end of the day and they are waiting at the door, tails enthusiastically beating a rhythm on the walls. No matter what I do, no matter how I feel, no matter what I look like, they love me and want to be near me. That is a textbook definition of unconditional love.

Oh, and yes. Eli IS using my Vera Bradley messenger bag as a pillow. ARGH! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I guess we can't talk you into giving us the dogs. We rally miss them. (We miss you guys too.)

N and P

Scott said...

Sorry Laura! No, these crazy mutts help keep me on an even keel. :)