Thursday, February 15, 2007

Prayer Requests

In the hustle and bustle of Hailey's physical therapy appointment, dinner at a friends home, and AWANA, it has been fairly easy to forget that today was Valentine's Day. Scott surprised me with a phone call and a package from Hershey! Both were unexpected and very appreciated. As I sit here, surrounded by Mt. Washmore (never ending laundry for those not familiar with Flylady), I am having a hard time believing that it was only this morning that I heard Scott's voice on the phone.

Yesterday, my friend Janet came over to help me plan the epic cross-country trek the girls and I will be taking starting next month. She was the cool head to help temper my emotional enthusiasm. The trip is planned, now I just need to contact everyone I hope to visit with along the way. I'm so ecstatic about getting this trip underway, now I just have to sit down and get all the preparations done. (15 minutes a day, right?)

So, now I'm left with the clear realization that I can not rely only on my own strength.

6 Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.7 Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:6-7,13

This leads me to prayer requests I have for my family. I truly do need, and seriously desire your prayers. I've been so encouraged by the phone calls, e-mails and comments to this blog. So please, if you do pick one of my prayer requests, would you please let me know? It is amazing how much I feel lifted and supported just knowing that I am covered in prayer.
  • Health. It feels as if with 4 kids, there is always someone sick. Right now, Beth and Katelynn have ear infections and the antibiotics are affecting Beth's intestinal tract. (No more information needed.) Pray that they heal quickly, that the rest of us do not get sick, and that our health holds during the trip. God is the great healer!
  • Emotions. Deployment, separation from Scott - it brings a large emotional roller coaster to all of us. Katelynn appears to be the one hardest hit - there are numerous bouts of tears, daily. Pray for Katelynn to be able to process her feelings, for me to be able to give her the comfort she needs, and for all of us to be open with each other. The Lord is my refuge.
  • School. I've purposely kept expectations for this school year pretty minimal. I just want to finish our set curriculum before Scott returns at the end of the summer. Pray for diligence on my part, willing hearts on the part of Katelynn and Emily and for me to not be so hard on myself. Many of my homeschooling friends have counseled me to remember the reasons I homeschool. The academics were not the primary reason. Plus, how many kiddos get to see so much of the USA in their lifetime, much less one school year?!?
  • Dogs. The dogs are coming with us, they are a great source of comfort (they sleep on Scott's side of the bed now, so I don't feel so lonely. Sorry hon. :) ), however, they are also a source of stress. I feel guilty for not caring for their needs like I want to. Abbey is currently waking me up at 2am to run outside, her intestinal track is quite delicate, and something has upset its balance. I'm tired of cleaning up after her. Pray that she will heal quickly, and that she will settle into the drive. Abbey is a very nervous passenger. Pray that Eli's age will not be a problem on the trip - he is getting stiffer every day. My heart aches to see him in pain, pray that the vet. will be able to offer some help before we leave.
  • Time. I'm very quickly becoming overwhelmed at all that has to get done before I leave. Pray for the Lord to remind me to accomplish only what he sets before me each day. Pray that I can effectively prioritize my "To Do" list, and also make sure I take care of myself. There are so many random little things to get done, I'm afraid that something will fall through the cracks.
  • Sleep. It is so easy for me, a natural night owl, to stay up late into the night. Since Scott left I've been staying up way too late, trying to get random tasks accomplished that were passed over earlier in the day. Pray that I will not neglect this very important way to rejuvenate!
  • Vehicles. Tomorrow I'll take the truck up for some routine maintenance. I still don't know how I'll get back up to pick up the truck, but the Lord has provided a way home from the service center. The truck will be there all day, and I can not imagine trying to keep the girls entertained from 9am until 3pm in the small waiting room! Please urgently pray that the Lord will provide a ride back up to the truck. The trailer also needs to get in to be serviced before we leave. I'm just not sure when would be best. Pray that the maintenance it needs will be accomplished quickly. Please also pray for both the trailer and Suburban to be sound, for there to be no major breakdowns, and for the routine maintenance on both vehicles to be done quickly and with no unknown problems.
  • Details. We've all heard the expression "The devil is in the details." Well, I fully disagree. I know that the Lord is in the details. Pray that I would forget no detail. Pray that nothing would be left behind, pray that the Lord would remind me of every little thing that needs to be done.
I am constantly amazed at God's provision for my family. He is an awesome God. He is risen, alive, and actively working in the world today. My last prayer request is that HE would be glorified in this trip. I've heard many times over that I'm so brave, strong, sure, etc. for taking this trip. NO. I've been given this awesome opportunity by the Lord. My husband is temporarily away, my kids are with me at home, why not grab what I've been given, and make the most of it. My purpose in life is to glorify God. It is in his power that the girls and I embark upon this exciting journey. Pray that we would be able to show others God's love in every mile we travel!

OK, It is way late again. I've rambled on long enough. *grin* Thank you for letting me put my prayer requests before you. It is humbling to know that I can not do this alone!

5 comments:

60 toes said...

Janell,
I so enjoy reading your blog, the kids have also loved seeing the pictures.

I am amazed at how much I can relate to so many of the things you are going through. Adam just got home but it was hard having him miss everything in our life that happened since October, we had good days and bad days. In the end God got us through it and provided people to encourage us along the way.

I am just like you in the night owl category. When Adam is gone I stay up incredibly too late, thr mornings are painful.

I will be praying for you today that you will get a ride back up to get the Burb. God IS in the details and is so thrilled to see His children resting on him. Please fill us all in on how it turns out.

Have a great day.

Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Try feeding Beth yogurt or acidophilus milk if you are not already doing so. Disguise it if you have to. It may help the gastric system by replacing some of the intestinal fauna.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

See my last comment: I had a brain blip. It should be "intestinal flora!" Now I have visions of poor Beth running arouond with Bambi and Thumper in her digestive tract.

Auntie Mo said...

Janell,

My heart is going out to you. Hannah & I will be praying for you with the dogs. I adore my handsome boy and am really sad watching him as he gets older and things get harder and more painful for him. I pray that he will be your protector on the trip and the pain will not be a nuisance to him while he takes on this important role of watching over the "Stringer Girls". I love you and think you are an amazing woman!

Love,
Mel

GoughRMAK said...

Janell,

I'll be praying for your time/sleep management and emotions of everyone. I'll throw in others too, but I'll concentrate on those for you.

Mel