Saturday, February 03, 2007

Procrastination. I'll talk about it later.

I really don't know what character flaw I have that causes me to habitually procrastinate on things. When I procrastinate, it isn't always putting off an unpleasant task, or avoiding doing something I don't want to do. Well, alright, maybe that is the case with dusting or weeding.

I'm supposed to leave my house tomorrow morning, with kids and dogs in tow, for an 11am appointment to get my taxes done. To most people this wouldn't be too big of a deal, however, I have to drive over 3 hours to get to my tax guy. (I'll be going to the office that handles my parents taxes, my in-laws, my sisters, etc. It's a family thing.) Not an enjoyable thing, per se, however, I am also going to see my in-laws, stay with my sister, celebrate my niece's birthday, watch the Superbowl with my folks, then go visit my sister-in-law for a few days. All really great things, I'm really excited about the next week.

However...it is now 10:20pm, I need to leave in about 8 hours, I don't have my tax paperwork pulled together yet, the laundry isn't fully done, so I haven't packed yet. I haven't weighed out the dogs food yet, and I have to wash diapers too. Why do I do this to myself???

To someone who doesn't normally put things off, I'm sure I sound crazy. "Why didn't you do a little bit each day this week?" is a thought going through your mind, I'm sure. :) And I have an answer...I don't really know. Anyone have any miracle cures? A magic wand perhaps?

Now, if you are a procrastinator, you probably are nodding your head in understanding. "Been there, done that" you agree.

So now I am opening the floor to you... How many out there are with me? And how many of you do I envy? :) I'm eager to learn, let me know how you naturally organized people live!

Off to get some things done to prepare for tomorrow. I promise, I'll get to bed before midnight!!!

6 comments:

GoughRMAK said...

I am laughing right now reading this. I figure you are scrambling as I write this (0700 pst). Unfortunately, I have no solutions for you. I am just as bad. If I can get myself started eartly, I'm OK, but my normal way is to wait, then I get overwhelmed quickly. Usually, when Mel is gone for a day or weekend, I put off my "honey-do" list until a couple of hours before she gets home. Then I am frantic trying to get things done, or figure a way to justify when it didn't get done.

Good Luck,
Rich

Auntie Mo said...

From one Frazzlehead to another..there is no cure! Maybe it's because you have 4 kids, 2 dogs, 10 loads of laundry a day, Awana, school...(I am getting tired just writing all the stuff you have to do!) So, just know that we absolutely LOVE you for the way that you are and accept all your flaws! :-) SO excited to see you guys in a few hours although I can't quite convince Hannah to clean the cat box...maybe you are rubbing off on her?!?!?! I am sure that it will be done 5 minutes before you get here (BY ME!)

Anonymous said...

I, too, unlike my sister (Nana) am a procrastinator--especially when it comes to home tasks. (Nana's a tough act to follow.)

I don't procrastinate on the job, I save procrastination for my home turf--paperwork, housekeeping, errands. I just realized that I need to make a list and go to Home Depot & Bed Bath and Beyond for all of the fixes I've neglected for the past month. Then, I'll run like crazy to get everything done at once.

I've read the Fly Lady web page a few times thinking I should try her system, but I never get around to it.

twinmommy said...

I say you're either born that way or your not. I was fortunate enough that my brother took the procrastination genes so that I wouldn't have to have them. LOL Scott! I will say, though, that having two infants at once has kind of put a kink in my "organized" ways, so I can relate to you much more these days! There are only so many things that can go at the top of your piority list to get done. Besides, it's much more fun to avoid the dishes and laundry and build legos instead :).

Anonymous said...

"Been there done that"
I guess I have Aunt Lucy fooled.

You got here in one piece, and the dog food showed up before they started chewing on our ankles.

Take a deep breath and enjoy the week.

A. said...

I'll post a comment about this... um, soon.