Saturday, March 10, 2007

I'm a grandma!

Two years ago I became a grandmother to 4 adorable bundles of fur. Abbey gave birth in the early evening of October 17, 2004 to 3 little girls and 2 small boys. (The last boy was a stillborn, perfect in shape and size, but not destined to survive in this world.)

What a whirlwind we were in for. Little Miss Fushia, Miss Pink, Miss Orange and Mr. Purple (named after their rick-rack colors we used for identification) quickly grew into yipping, peeing, eating machines. The two months the puppies lived with us was a time full of laughter at their antics, and moments spent cleaning up their messes. Katelynn, Emily and I enjoyed our time with the puppies, but there was one who stole our hearts...
Mr. Purple.

This little boy was so personable, easy to love, and fun to have around. Scott and I briefly toyed around with the idea of keeping him, yet life circumstances intervened. (We discovered that Hailey was going to be joining our family in a few months.) Even though I knew I couldn't keep him, Mr. Purple had seized my heart, and was able to enjoy some extra perks because of it.

The Lord sure has a funny sense of humor, and this circumstance was no different. Adam and Charlotte Scott were friends we had made in our newlywed days in Pensacola, and ended up in Southern Maryland with us at the Naval Test Pilot School. Neither Charlotte or Adam were what I would call "dog people", but one thing led to another in the Lord's timing, and Mr. Purple ended up joining their family on Christmas Morning, 2004.

What a perfect fit! Cooper (as Mr. Purple was renamed) now is the much adored canine member of the Scott family. He has survived his first Navy move, from Southern Maryland to Oklahoma, and he continues to charm everyone he meets. In fact, while I've been visiting with the Scotts for the past few days, I have heard their friends say they want a dog like Cooper. :)

Cooper, Abbey and Eli have had fun playing together, and conning the humans into throwing balls for them to fetch. Adam was actually able to get all three dogs to lay still long enough for Charlotte and I to snap a few photos.

Eli, Abbey, and Cooper

Yes, I'm thankful for how the Lord knows better than I do. I just need to be reminded of this every so often.


6 comments:

GoughRMAK said...

I am a dog person, but my better half is not. If I had been able to talk her into a dog at that time, Mr. Purple would have been my choice. The real problem was his future size. I have always loved all size dogs, but have had the most fun with the larger dogs. I'm glad to see that he is being enjoyed by the Scotts.

I am happy to say that we are dog owners now. We had some friends move away and couldn't take their 6 year old dog with them. We were able to adopt her and really enjoy her. I'm just curious to see how Tora, Eli, and Abby get along. Tora is VERY dominant, even though she is small. Could be interesting.

twinmommy said...

Cooper is a beautiful dog! Good job Abby! What a neat picture. Glad you are all having fun at the Scott's. I'm enjoying reading about your trip!

Scott said...

OK, I'll have to admit. The title gave me a moment's pause. It took a moment to remember the context, that Janell was visiting Oklahoma, (home of our grandpuppy), and that we had a grandpuppy (not really a puppy any more!). Pictures look great. Wish I could be there!! No dogs out here (a bit of dog hair I brought with me, though--not intentionally.)
-S.

Anonymous said...

I want one.

Hope said...

Hey Janell cooper looks just like abby! I love the pictures! Just keep on going! Are you still in OK?
Well can't wait for you to come back
Hope

Auntie Mo said...

I am with Nana, I want one tooooooo! :)