Sunday, April 29, 2007

What beauty.

I must admit that I usually don't think of South Dakota when I think of the ideal vacation spot. This weekend has changed all that!

The driving from Minnesota to South Dakota was not hard, but I sure seemed to be going through gas quickly. Once I eventually found a service station and climbed out of the truck, I realized why. There was a steady headwind. For the rest of the drive you could actually see the needle on the gas gauge drop as we drove forward.

We made it to the Ingalls Homestead around 6:30 at night - the sun was no where near setting, and there was plenty of time for the girls to play while I set up camp. The Ingalls Homestead is not officially open until Memorial Day, but they were gracious to let us camp on-site while they did some of their spring cleaning. We are situation on a small knoll with the township of De Smet visible to the northeast. All around us are fields and wetlands (sloughs).


It was unreal to cook dinner and then watch the sunset, possibly standing in the same location where Laura might have watched a similar sight. As a child, I was engrossed with all things "Little House". I read the books, watched the TV shows, and identified with Laura and her "mouse-brown" hair. Thanks to the Morrison family for telling me about this fabulous place!

We've enjoyed clear, warm days here. Even though they had a harsh blizzard only a few weeks ago, now it is sunny, trees are budding, and the temperature is ideal at around 73 degrees. So we woke up on Saturday, eager to explore and see what life on the prairie would really be like.

The first stop was the Laura Ingalls travels exhibit, where the girls got to climb into an authentic covered wagon. It was way smaller than I expected! I can only imagine bouncing through the hard ruts on the trails in such a small vehicle, with all my worldly possessions packed along with me. (I'll take my trailer anyday!)

Then we climbed down the hill to crawl inside the cool walls of a dugout replica. A dugout is a small, one room home dug into a hillside, with the fourth wall being made of strips of stacked sod. Think man-made cave. Inside there was an old wooden stove, small table and barrels for chairs. There was barely enough room to turn around.

We clambered around a few other outbuildings (claim shanty, hay roof barn, livestock barn, and old fashioned garage), but the highlight was the shanty which was the replica of the Ingalls home here on the prairie. It was rebuilt on the same site as the original home, using the description of the building that Pa (Charles Ingalls) filed with the local government at the time of building.

Here the girls marvelled at the hay stuffed beds, the small size, and the simpleness. They enjoyed trying out some old laundry methods. How come they won't help with the laundry at home, but were THRILLED to use the washboard, wringer, and clothesline here. :)
After nap time, we headed back down the hill to the prairie schoolhouse, where Laura once taught. It has been moved from its original site, but still stands much as it did in her time. Emily, then Beth and Katelynn took turns being the teacher and awarding grades from AAAA to Z. Hailey even got in on the fun and certainly enjoyed standing in the teachers chair instructing her sisters and mom.

Everyone we met here has been so friendly. And although they are so busy getting ready for the summer season, they were all willing to talk and share with us. I'm so thrilled that we were able to stop here and experience a little taste of life on the prairie.

Only one problem. Since Hailey still refuses to walk, she get extremely dirty as she crawls around the grass and gravel trailing after her sisters. As you look at the picture, note the very CLEAN thumb - I'll let you use your imagination as to how it has been cleaned. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I could have been with you. It sounds so wonderful. Twinmommy and troops arrive in Lake A tomorrow.

GoughRMAK said...

Hmmm...I guess the saying goes, "God made dirt and dirt don't hurt". At least her thumb is clean. :)

Auntie

GoughRMAK said...

The thumb is clean, but what about the lips? I wonder how S Dakota dirt tastes? You didn't tell us about Kilroy Stringer (picture in the wagon).

I would even enjoy seeing that site. I watched Little House with my cousin when we were little.

Could you imagine how grumpy your crew would get in the back of that wagon? I wonder how they navigated without GPS?

R:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing some of my favorite childhood books alive. I enjoyed your visit vicariously.

EEEEMommy said...

Wow! We've just finished the first two Little House books and the kids are anxious to keep going! We would all love this! (I'm the same way with the mousy brown hair!:)
My AirForce sister just moved to South Dakota and we need to get out there to visit her. I knew about the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore, but had no idea the Ingalls place was out there. Fun!