Sunday, May 27, 2007

Accomplishment


The girls and I have LOTS plans for the time until Scott returns. Hailey wants to move into a big girl bed - meaning we have to buy another bunk bed set. The playroom will swap with Katelynn's room - so new paint and sewing projects. I really want to park my fabulously clean truck in the garage soon (I had it detailed this week), so I have to figure out what to get rid of in the garage.

After living for 11 weeks with only what I could pull in the trailer, I have realized that we have way too much STUFF!!! The girls and I do not NEED 90% of what we live with. So, a purge has begun. Don't worry, I've promised not to get rid of anything of Scott's while he is gone. :)

With a renewed declutter purpose, the girls and I spent some time at IKEA on Friday night. This led to my first declutter project - the downstairs closet. For those who have not been in my house, we have only one closet downstairs. It is directly across from our school room, and is L shaped to fit under the stairs. We've had a bunch of school work, craft supplies, cleaning supplies, coats, and bags hiding in there since we moved here. I do clean it out once in a while, but it still quickly fills up.




With the help of some IKEA shelves, a ruthless purging spirit, and some time the closet now looks brand new. I was finally able to put almost all of the girls art supplies in the closet, as well as a few items I need on a semi-regular basis for our homeschool group or my own craft projects. Several art projects were finally moved to a "home" in the closet instead of sitting on the side of the school cabinet, gathering dust and spiders.










































I also built a new bookshelf for the girls and filled with books - I even managed to get them to part with a few books in the process. It is amazing to see how my love of books has passed on to them!

All in all, I feel proud of my hard work and very thankful that the girls played well today. Even Hailey was in a good mood today. That truly IS a miracle!! The only downside to this adventure was that the closet shelves are made from pine. I'm allergic to pine. :( So now, my upper lip is swollen and I itch all over. Hmmm, I hope the swelling goes down before church tomorrow!!!

5 comments:

GoughRMAK said...

THAT'S GREAT!! Poor Scott is not going to recognize the place when you're done. He will have to start all over learning where things are. Now that you have new sewing projects, I'm guessing that the fabric is not part of the declutter!?!?

I would love to get into that kind of mood in my basement, but I would hate to disturbe the "KAKE".

Rich

GoughRMAK said...

That looks great!! Wanna do my closet?? I need to be in a declutter mood. I didn't get a chance to do any cleaning until yesterday, the day my dad was arriving. It was hard to get it all done.

Wonderful job!!

Mel

Anonymous said...

What do you do in your SPARE TIME? You are amazing. I'm tired just reading your accomplishments.

60 toes said...

You go girl! You know I can appreciate all your hard work organizing. You have inspired me to do some purging.

Have a great weekend.
-C

Nana said...

It's really interesting what you can do without. Our solution unfortunately has been to buy another house to store the stuff in. I guess we need to start getting rid of things so you guys don't have to deal with it. It's hard though.