Sunday, June 17, 2007

Building memories.

I love lavender. I love the plants, I love the scent, I love its effects. So last year, when Scott and I read about a local lavender field, we were off. We packed up lunch, the girls and the dogs into my Mother's Day present - the Suburban, and headed north. We picnicked at Kit Carson Park in Escondido, where Eli and I had learned flyball back in 1999. Then into the back country we headed.

I don't remember how much time we spent at the Lavender Fields, but I do remember the pure enjoyment of the day. Sitting near the fountain at the Serenity Garden while the girls wandered around the lavender labyrinth, hiking up and around rows of fragrant, blooming plants, inspecting the distillery where the essential oil is harvested, and visiting the gift shop. It was a day full of new adventures and memories to build upon.

So this year, as I began to get e-mail newsletters that the Lavender Fields were in bloom and open for business, I was eager to recapture some of the joy from that May weekend in 2006. Katelynn and Emily remembered our visit and were eager to see if the decorated sugar cubes would be available for tasting again. This year, Scott would not be able to join us, for obvious reasons. However, we invited my parents to join us in our excursion and they were game to try the adventure.

It's funny how time dulls my memory! I had forgotten how far off the main road the lavender fields are. Then, my GPS was determined to get me from point A to point B via a road that didn't exist. But, moods were up, and everyone handled the two u-turns without complaining. We enjoyed our picnic lunch in the back of my parents Roadtrek van, with only one small hitch - Hailey fell out of the back of the van. (We had left the rear door hope while we ate.) She tumbled about 4 feet to the ground, but only has one small bruise on her chin as evidence of her stunt. (I think my heart finally started beating again about an hour later - I feel like the world's worst mom!)

With Hailey firmly in my arms and the giggle of girls in tow, Mom, Dad and I headed up the hill to the Lavender Fields. The bright sun quickly heated us up, turning the girls cheeks pink from the effort of climbing uphill. We watched as bees helped to pollinate the various lavender plants - did you know there are loads of different varieties of lavender? The girls enjoyed using the cool water of the serenity garden fountain to cool off.



Hailey is deep into the "Monkey see, Monkey do" mentality that toddlers have, so I was thankful she followed her sister's lead by playing with the water instead of copying the llamas on the other side of the fence. The llamas were rolling in the thick dust in the center of their sunny pen to cool off - nature's first sunscreen I guess.

We made our way around the fields to the distillery, and were lucky enough to catch one of the experts as he began to distill the lavender. He was kind enough to answer my questions, and give a brief overview of how they get the lavender essential oil and hydrosol they use in their organic products.

Next stop was the wool shed, where we tasted some iced serene lavender tea. (A mixture of chamomile, lavender and other herbs.) YUMMY! I had purchased a small tin of this tea last year, and have slowly enjoyed it over the year. Usually I drink it hot, with a touch of lavender infused honey mixed in. This year, I splurged and purchased two tins, so I can enjoy it more often.

Last stop was the gift shop. I so love small, personal businesses. Even though there was a constant flow of people in and out, I was able to get some one-on-one time with a woman who knew her lavender. She showed me several of the products, and was kind enough to give each girl a scented soap to take home. My parents patiently waited and kept the girls entertained while I browsed.


Then, all too soon, the day was over. Mom and Dad were on their way to Grandpa Mack's for dinner, and the girls and I headed south for home. The Stringer Zoo did stop at a Cold Stone Ice Cream in Mira Mesa for a cool treat. It was fun to see Hailey toddle around the courtyard, she really enjoys finally being mobile!

Oh, one "funny" about today... I accidentally left Hailey's diapers sitting on the stairs at home. So I arrived at the Lavender Fields with no diapers. Hmmmm. Fortunately, I had a spare roll of paper towels behind my seat! Little Miss Hailey, who can't stand paper diapers, had her diaper cover stuffed with several layers of VIVA paper towels. Poor girl. How's that for a mother's resourcefulness?

I think I'm going to go brew some serene lavender tea and head to bed. Have a great Father's Day everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just added your Lavender Fields to places I have to visit. I LOVE LAVENDER. Thank you for a great travel story. You ought to see if you can publish some of your local jaunts in the local paper.

I've been known to order Yardley's lavender soap by the case when I couldn't find it in local stores. I have a lavender plant on my patio; it's almost ready to bloom.

You got some beautiful pictures of the whole Zoo, plus your parents. Sounds like a great day!

60 toes said...

I LOVE lavender also. We planted some also. I am anxious to see it bloom.

I am glad Hailey is fine. I have had a few of those motherhood lows myself.

-C

GoughRMAK said...

Great story! Poor Hailey. Uncle Rich would have made it all better. It's a good thing you are blogging all of this. You have a BUNCH of things to remember and if you had to depend on memory to scrapbook it, well, we know how that would go. You should make a Zoo Cruise Scrapbook from all of your adventures.

Glad you had a good day.

Rich

EEEEMommy said...

Great fun! Sounds like a nice place to visit. I'd love to try the tea! Chamomile is my favorite!
You are very resourceful to think of papertowels! :)
Have a good week!

Unknown said...

You and the girls are a lot of fun!! I especailly enjoyed the herbal ice tea at the Lavender Fields for it did get hot in the afternoon. Dad and I enjoyed our overnight stay. I had fun palying Barbies with the girls. Love, MOM