Friday, June 15, 2007

Time flies when...

no one is whining at me! :)

It has been a typical third quarter of cruise for the Stringer Zoo. I don't remember much from Scott's first deployment. (Eight years and 3 children ago.) However, I DO remember that the forth month of cruise was the worst part. This deployment has definitely followed along those lines.

My depression and lack of organization (funny how the two go hand-in-hand) really began to take hold toward the end of May, and I feel as if it is only now that I am beginning to come out into the sun again. My house is still a complete disaster - clothes, toys and THINGS are stashed in the oddest of places as we rearrange the entire upstairs. Tomorrow is slated for a full house Crisis Cleaning. Katelynn and Emily are even on board, I think they are tired of not knowing where any of their precious possessions are.

One thing that so far seems to have helped me shake a portion of my foul mood was to finally get away from the house for a little while this evening. I was on orders to go out, without children, and relax. That was extremely hard for me to do. I've tapped out my babysitter list with all the appointments the Stringer Zoo has had lately, and it has been tough to get any new "blood" willing to watch 4 kids for any length of time. Tonight, my regular babysitter was able to come over for four hours! As tempting as it was to use the time to get caught up on housework, I obeyed my command and left the house.

I sat in a darkened theatre for over two hours and watched "Ocean's 13". Not an academy award winner, but entertainment! I splurged on a popcorn and soda, and settled into the third row - the screen seemed as large as an IMAX. After enjoying the movie, I headed out to our new mall and hit the Barnes and Noble. (And of course the Starbucks as well.) My four hours was over way too quickly, but I feel a bit more prepared to be a mom again.

Keep praying for us! I know that the remainder of this month will probably get long for us. We are all looking forward to mid-July and beyond. There is much to look forward to!

4 comments:

GoughRMAK said...

Unfortunately, I have not been in your shoes. Just the opposite end, but I do know it is tough. Remember, you can call ANYTIME is you need to unload. I can take anything you can dish out (especially if it comes in chocolate). Glad you got away for a little bit. I can imagine that is the hardest part.

I know this is easier said than done, but keep looking forward to what is coming and know that someday soon, this will be over.

You need to get one of those bumper stickers that says "Navy Wife- the hardest job in the Navy".

Rich

EEEEMommy said...

Continuing to pray for you! I'm glad that you were refreshed by your time, I would also encourage you to carve out some quantity time at your Savior's feet. Maybe some lonely night after the kids are in bed; resist the urge to clean or organize or veg in front of the TV or computer. It did a world of good for me!
Blessings,
Angel

GoughRMAK said...

Good to hear from you. I still remember how tough cruise and separations can be. I know how you just want to beat your head on the wall when the calendar says only another couple of days have passed when your certain its been more like 20!

We're here for you, see you soon :):)!! (53 days)

M

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you gave yourself some R&R in the midst of chaos. I'm sure you're much better able to tackle things again.

Knowing you, you probably have a grand plan for the house. Do what we do in business when it looks like we can't hit a hard deadline (yours is Scott's return) with available resources. Look at your big plan and determine which pieces aren't essential. Then, trim down the plan to what you can do without sacrificing sleep, good health, and time with your girls.

Good luck!